MCA Coding and Registration Coding | BMSUK

Email us:
Phone: +44 (0) 1993 835 344
Mobile: +44 (0) 782 729 2171

International marine surveyors and consultants

Registration & Coding


For a UK Citizen, registering your private yacht is not compulsory if the yacht is based in the UK however it is a requirement if you wish to travel abroad.

There are two types of registration for UK flagged vessels. The most simple and economical way of registering your yacht, if under 24 metres is on the part III register commonly known as the Small ships register or SSR. This registration can be done online directly, with the MCA. Online Registration

The other type of registration is known as Part 1 registration, this is a more formal registration which enables you to prove title of your yacht and obtain financing. With this type of registration you will require the ships documents including; bill of sale, builders certificate all the information can be found here. You will also require a tonnage survey.

BMSUK have surveyors authorised to carry out Tonnage Surveys for the MCA for vessels under 24 metres as required for Part 1 registration. We can either work through one of the MCA approved certifying authorities that you have chosen or BMS can carry out the tonnage application on your behalf.


If you have a UK flagged yacht which is being operated commercially (chartered) you are required to comply with the MCA Code of Practice - The Safety of Small Commercial Sailing Vessels.

At BMS we have surveyors authorised to carry out compliance surveys on yachts under 24 metres for the MCA Code of Practice The Safety of Small Commercial Sailing Vessels as required on all UK flagged commercial yachts. We are authorised to work through a number of the MCA appointed certifying authorities please contact us for our recommendations.