Machinery and Systems Survey
BMS have Surveyors specifically trained in Surveying Yacht Machinery and Systems. The Machinery and Systems Survey is recommended after a Yacht refit, where machinery and systems have changed, or on a newly commissioned yacht to test the new systems.
The Machinery and Systems survey will almost always include a sea trial, engines will be run and operated from all control stations. The engine will be performance tested to engine manufacturer’s specifications. All the ships systems will be run and tested for operation. Systems that BMS regularly test during Machinery and Systems Survey include:
Main engine tested for performance under load
- Gearbox for smooth operation in ahead and reverse
- Bow/stern thrusters and trim tabs
- Generator performance under load
- Steering lock to lock when moving ahead and astern, autopilot system
- Fresh water systems; tanks, pumps and water maker operation
- Sewage system; toilets, holding tanks and pumping
- Bilge pumping
- Fire fighting systems
- Batteries and charging systems
- Heating systems
- Refrigeration systems
- Air conditioning; pumps, handling units including performance test
- Cooking, gas/electric
- Windlass and winches tested under load
- Sail handling systems under load
Before the survey BMS will require information on the Yachts systems, this enables us to prepare a clear and defined scope of Survey. Contact us with your specific requirements or for our recommendations.
A report is provided explaining the findings of the Machinery and Systems Survey. Within the report problems found during the survey are listed and information given on their importance and recommendations for repair.
Once the survey has been completed we guarantee to provide the survey report within ten working days but it is often delivered much sooner. We will spend the time to answer any questions about the survey and are happy to give any yachting advice.